As the number of unsheltered residents rapidly rises, local government and non-profit housing resources are unable to keep pace with community needs. Unpermitted campsites pose health and safety risks to campers and housed residents and often violate ADA access requirements.
Inspired by design thinking outcomes, the D3 Innovation Think Tank invites participants of all backgrounds, perspectives and skills to come together to talk about:
- Are there better ways to use local government and private sector resources to reduce harms experienced by people in encampments?
- Can we simultaneously permit camps and promote quality of life in neighborhoods and commercial corridors?
- Is there a way for local government to regulate permitted areas for camping and parking?
- What can be done to ensure safety for campers? To address crime and violence in camp communities?
- Is there a way to keep camps free of predators and human trafficking?
- Is there a way for the community and government to work together to better provide mental health and addiction interventions for unsheltered residents?